P.G.I. - Origin Protection
Origin Protection and Quality Control
In the interest of preserving the regional ties of Styrian Pumpkin Seeds and Oil, in 1996 the European Union Commission formed a collective of producers that is now known as: Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil – P.G.I. (Protected Geographical Indication).
Pumpkin Seed Oil – The Champagne of Styria (Steiermark)
The cultivation of pumpkin seeds for the extraction of pumpkin oil has been a local tradition in Styria for many generations. This industry provides many farmers and operators of commercial oil presses with a reliable source of income. The P.G.I. label was created in order to protect the origin of these special pumpkin seeds and secure a long-term income potential for Styrian pumpkin farmers and operators of oil presses. For the P.G.I. all these pumpkins must be grown without the use of pesticides, herbicides, or any other chemical or synthetic fertilizers.
CLICK HERE to read more about the P.G.I. and Origin Protection.
CLICK HERE to read more about the traditional production methods past and present.
The excise stamp (traceability and control number) ensures the originality, authenticity and quality control of the Styrian Gold Pumpkin Oil – P.G.I. To identify genuine Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil – P.G.I., first look for the P.G.I. logo at the top of that bottle cap, then look for this stamp with a registration number on the bottom of the back label on the bottle. The stamp guarantees you that the production of the oil was monitored all the way from the farmer’s fields to the store shelves. You can be sure that every bottle of Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil bearing this stamp was produced under the strictest quality standards.
The P.G.I. Guarantee
P.G.I. designation label guarantees to the consumer that the Pumpkin Oil in that bottle:
- originates from seeds grown by registered farmers in the Styrian region of Austria.
- is extracted by registered Styrian oil presses using traditional methods.
- is 100% pure pumpkin seed oil from the first pressing, no additional filtering.
Objectives of Origin Protection
- Ensure consumer safety and confidence
- Establish and maintain a high quality standards
- Protect the local Styrian pumpkin crops
- Prevent foreign pumpkin seeds from being used
- Provide unified marketing for the P.G.I. oil.
- Preserve the positive image of Styrian Gold P.G.I. oil